These are some of our recent publications:
- Lindgren, April. (2017, Dec. 5). Instead of mourning local news, try paying for it. The Conversation. Available from https://theconversation.com/instead-of-mourning-local-news-try-paying-for-it-88553
- Hodson, Jaigris and Lindgren, April. (2017). The 2015 Canadian election and locally relevant news on Twitter. In proceedings from 2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society.
- Lindgren, April, Corbett, Jon and Hodson, Jaigris. (2017, Jan. 23). Canada’s local news “poverty.” Policy Options. Available from http://policyoptions.irpp.org/
- Lindgren, April, Hodson, Jaigris and Corbett, Jon. (2016, Oct. 6). Local News Poverty in Canadian Communities. Supplied written brief and testified before the House of Commons Heritage Committee on as part of the committee’s hearings on the Media and Local Communities. Brief available from: http://
localnewsresearchproject.ca/ 2016/11/01/local-news-poverty- in-canadian-communities/. Testimony available from: http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ XRender/en/PowerBrowser/ PowerBrowserV2/20161006/-1/ 25784?globalstreamId=23& useragent=Mozilla/5.0%20( Macintosh;%20Intel%20Mac%20OS% 20X%2010.12;%20rv:49.0)% 20Gecko/20100101%20Firefox/49. 0
- Lindgren, April. (2016). University researchers explore “local news poverty” in Canadian communities. Grassrooots Editor, 57(3-4), 6.
- Lindgren, April. (2016, Sept. 8). Ryerson journalism professor investigates local news poverty. Association of Municipalities Ontario WatchFile. Available from http://www.amo.on.ca/AMO-
Content/Watch-File/Guest- Column/2016/ RyersonJournalismProfessorInve stigatesLocalNewsPov
- Lindgren, April and Corbett, Jon. (2016, June 14). The Local News Map: Tell us what is happening to local news in your community. Available from https://localnewsmap.geolive.
- Lindgren, April. (2016). Aiding and abetting: How police media information units shape local news coverage. In Chris Richardson and Romayne Smith Fullerton (Eds.), Covering Canadian crimes: What journalists should know and the public should question (pp. 193-216). Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press.
- Lindgren, April. (2015). Ethnic media: On the margins no more. In Harald Bauder & John Shields (Eds.), Immigration, integration, and the settlement experience in North America (pp. 367-387). Toronto, ON: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
- Lindgren, April. (2015). Municipal communication strategies and ethnic media: A settlement service in disguise. Global Media Journal :Canadian Edition – Multicultural Media and Immigrant Integration, 8(2), 49-71. Available from http://www.gmj.uottawa.ca/1502/v8i2_lindgren_e.html
- Lindgren, April. (Sept. 18, 2015). How is your Toronto neighbourhood portrayed in the news? Check it out using these interactive maps. Available from http://geothink.ca/how-is-
your-toronto-neighbourhood- portrayed-in-the-news-check- it-out-using-these- interactive-maps/
- Lindgren, April. (2014). Toronto-area ethnic newspapers and Canada’s 2011 federal election: An investigation of content, focus and partisanship. Canadian Journal of Political Science, 47(4). Available from http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6013
- Lindgren, April. (2014). Demonized weed. Literary Review of Canada, 22(6), 20-21.
- Lindgren, April. (2014). Ethnic media election coverage: A content analysis methodology. Available from http://www.ryerson.ca/content/
- Lindgren, April. (2013). The Diverse City: Can you read all about it in ethnic newspapers?
Contemporary Readings in Law and Social Justice, 5(2), 120-140. Available from http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA%3A275
- Lindgren, April. (2013). Do ethnocultural newspapers have a future in Canada? J-Source: The Canadian Journalism Project. Available from http://j-source.ca/article/do-
- Lindgren, April. CERIS Working Paper #95: 2013. “The diverse city: Can you read all about it in ethnic newspapers?” Available from http://www.ceris.metropolis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CWP_95_-Lindgren.pdf Research summary available from http://www.ceris.metropolis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Lindgren_Research-Summary_2013.pdf
- Lindgren, April and Wong, Christina. (2012). Want to understand local news? Make a map. Published in the proceedings from the 2012 annual conference of the Canadian Communication Association, held in Waterloo, Ont. Available from http://cca.kingsjournalism.com/?p=169
- Lindgren, April. (2011-2012). Missing and misrepresented: Portrayals of other ethnic and racialized groups in a Greater Toronto Area ethnocultural newspaper. Canadian Ethnic Studies, 43-44(3-1), 99-121. Available from http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6026
- Fatima, Sahar. (2012). Telling scholarly stories: Translating research outcomes into multimedia stories for the purposes of dissemination. Available from http://journalism.ryerson.ca/Documents/TellingScholarlyStories.pdf
- Lindgren, April. (2011). Front page challenge: A case study examining what the ethnic media promises and what it delivers. CERIS Working Paper #83. Available from http://ceris.metropolis.net/wp-content/uploads/pdf/research_publication/working_papers/wp83.pdf
- Lindgren, April. (2011). Interpreting the city: Portrayals of place in a Toronto-area ethnic newspaper. Aether: The Journal of Media Geography, 8a, 68-88. Available from http://126.96.36.199/~aether/volume_08a.html
- Komaromy, Andrew. (2011). Spatial Analysis Methods for Describing and Comparing the Geographic Distribution of Local News. Major Research Paper, Master of Spatial Analysis, Department of Geography, Ryerson University.
- Lindgren, April. (June 15, 2010). Report: Covering disadvantaged neighbourhoods. J-Source: The Canadian Journalism Project. Available from http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6019
- Lindgren, April. (May 28, 2010). “Why negative news dominates in reports about Toronto’s disadvantaged neighbourhoods.” Openfile.ca.
- Lindgren, April. (2009). News, geography and disadvantage: Mapping newspaper coverage of high-needs neighbourhoods in Toronto, Canada. Canadian Journal of Urban Research, 18(1), 74-97. Available from http://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6010
- Lindgren, April. (2009). Mapping local news: A research methodology. Paper presented to the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Presented to the AEJMC annual conference, Boston. Available from http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aejmc/aejmc09/